Thursday, June 10, 2010

And the heavens opened up and I heard singing

It's of no surprise to anyone who knows me that I hate my neighbors. For months and months now I have been complaining about them to anyone that would listen, and even some that didn't really want to listen.

It's really funny. When they first moved in, I really didn't think they would stay long. We had lived here for two years by the time they moved in and there had been five different people living there in that time. They would move in and within a month or two, they would be gone again. Some of them, it would seem, in the middle of the night.

The first time they did something incredibly rude, I ignored it. I reasoned that there was no reason for me to make the brief time they would be here any worse than it needed to be. Unfortunately, they stayed..and stayed....and stayed. I don't know what was wrong with the house before that nobody would stay there, but these people seemed to have found it a pleasant place to be and were not leaving.

So for almost a year now I have dealt with weekend and weekday parties. There were so many people that lived there on a full time basis that in order to fit all the cars there they would park all up and down the street. Their visitors would park in front of my house and then proceed to honk their horn and yell really loud at 3 am because it was easier for them than getting out of their car. They would let their yard become overgrown, leave trash stacked by their house so when the wind blew it would blow into my yard, leave their dog in the back yard barking at all hours of the day and night and have incredibly loud screaming matches with each other, usually in the middle of the night.

And then today I pulled into my driveway and glanced over at their overgrown yard. Except wait...it wasn't overgrown. It was trimmed neatly. (And was incidentally making MY yard look a little overgrown!) The trashcan was pulled to the curb and trash piled beside it awaiting the garbage truck tomorrow. And there was a sign. A SIGN!!

The house is For Rent!!!! My neighbors have moved. I am almost giddy with excitement. It seems like such a small thing but really it's not. Don't ask me when they moved. I have noticed that it has been pretty quiet lately and not as many cars are parked on the street. I never saw a moving truck, I never saw anyone carrying boxes, I never saw anything. But they are gone.

I kinda wish they had left the dog though.

1 comment:

  1. Yea!!!

    But, just because God has a wonderfully sarcastic sense of humor...you know that a drug dealer with 18 kids, 4 pit bulls, a chihuahua (gotta have one yappy dog) and a pimp mobile with 42 stereo speakers in it, will be moving in next week. His woman of the week will want to be your best friend and will constantly be popping in to borrow a cup of sugar, an egg, a cigarette, some weed.

    Things could get interesting.

    ReplyDelete